Software/Game Development Engineer
BlackSoftware.com helps job hunters get interviews in the Boston area for tech operations and software making positions. We have built a number of relationships with talent buyers over years. Consider this opportunity.
Barrett Technology is a robotics company based in Newton, MA that develops and manufactures advanced robotic systems for medical and research applications.
Barrett’s medical robot, Burt (medical.barrett.com), is an interactive robotic system that provides stroke survivors a means to exercise and rehabilitate their affected arm in engaging and meaningful ways using a system that physically supports the weight of their arm while allowing them freedom of movement and targeted assistance while playing games on-screen.
Barrett’s line of advanced research robotic systems (advanced.barrett.com) include the WAM Arm, a highly dexterous, naturally backdrivable manipulator that can be used for a wide variety of applications, and the Barrett Hand, a three-fingered gripper that can be integrated with the WAM or used as a standalone device.
Barrett is a great place to work and develop professionally. The supportive, learning atmosphere is led by seasoned management and competent engineers. We promote from within, investing in our people. Personality and integrity are important at Barrett. The type of person who will do well at Barrett is a team player and a clear communicator. We look for people who are personable, honest, and open to feedback, as well as those who are open to learning new skills, finish tasks in a timely and thorough manner, and understand that documentation is an essential component of most tasks.
At Barrett, we believe that diversity makes us stronger, and that maintaining this diversity takes meaningful and sustained effort. We strive to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where all our employees can be their most authentic selves.
POSITION OVERVIEW (posted 7/22/2020)
The engineer will be an integral member of a cross-disciplinary engineering and manufacturing team supporting Barrett Technology’s advanced robotic systems. The primary focus will be game development and software infrastructure for Barrett’s medical robot, using the Unity3D game development engine in a Linux environment. The engineer will also work on similar tasks for research applications as needed.
The applicant should be able to stay organized and on task, communicate effectively with engineers, sales/marketing specialists, and customers, and work well with little supervision.
This full-time position includes health care and other benefits. Applicants must be able to come into the Barrett Technology office in Newton, MA, and are typically expected to do so on a daily basis. When large scale events affect in-person gatherings, alternative working situations are developed for our employees’ safety. (See COVID-19 note below.)
- Conceptualize, design, and develop new therapeutic games and assessments for Burt in Unity
- Develop and maintain game software infrastructure in a Linux environment
- Develop, test, and release medical device software through FDA-mandated design-controls
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineers throughout design and release
- Collaborate with sales, marketing, and clinical experts throughout design and release
- Assist in the upkeep and implementation of Quality System tools and procedures including bug-tracking, revision control, testing, and code reviews
- Prototype and develop customer-specific applications for Barrett advanced robotics products
- Interact with customers for product support or development of custom applications
- Support different aspects of a small company’s day-to-day requirements as needed
- Potential for travel for customer installations and tradeshows
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFICIENCIES
- U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in computer science, game development, or related field
- Proficient in C# programming
- Experience with Unity
- Experience implementing effective interactive software applications (e.g., games, user interfaces)
- Personable, self-motivated, and self-directed
- Interested in learning new skills and abilities
- Good verbal and written communication skills
HIGHLY VALUED SKILLS
- Experience setting up and developing in a Linux environment
- Experience with Linux command-line tools and shell scripting
- Experience working with robotic systems and/or haptic systems
- Experience with other languages and tools, such as C++ and Python
- Experience with MySQL
- Comfortable using version control (Git preferred)
- Experience with medical-device software within a quality-controlled environment
- Experience developing applications for people with mental and/or physical disabilities
Interviews for this position will be conducted remotely. To ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, the engineering team is currently working remotely as much as possible. We work with each employee’s situation to make the necessary hardware available, including delivering hardware to the employee’s home and/or scheduling time in the office.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and C#/Unity code sample to email@example.com with the subject heading “Software/Game Development Engineer”.
Applications without cover letters or code samples will not be considered.